Thursday, September 24, 2009

Being Well Informed

Posted by Donald J. Trump on 9/8/2009 at 11:50 AM Posted in Leadership
ShareThis

I remember hearing someone say “I am not an intellectual, but I’m well informed” when they were talking about their interests, and I thought that statement was well put. People are surprised when they discover the variety of subjects I am interested in, but that comes with paying attention to newspapers, magazines, television coverage and the Internet. If you stop to consider how much information is given out on a daily basis, there’s very little reason not to be well informed.



Give yourself opportunities by refusing to limit yourself. I may be a businessman, but I attend concerts, read history books and biographies, listen to music, watch sports and play golf. I don’t put borders on myself or on my interests, and I’m always looking to learn something new.


I recently came across some facts about the music business, and there’s a recording that came out in 1959 that remains the best selling jazz album of all time: Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. I became curious as to why, and it seems it struck a chord with a very broad audience. Musicians were impressed by it and the public just plain liked it. It turns out that Miles Davis was a bit of a strategist and he also used modes--an old form of musical scales. The sound surprised people, and it has obviously had a long lasting effect.




Don’t be afraid to expand your horizons by expanding your base of knowledge. Use curiosity to your advantage by paying attention to things that may not be in your line of business--it’s a form of lateral thinking that could be a catalyst to a new sound that becomes a record breaker. It’s all a part of being well informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment